Under the Severo Ochoa programme, the BSC will carry out multidisciplinary research to address the complex challenges in the path towards Personalized Medicine. Massive genomic projects are changing our view on pathologies and will change how we fight them in the future. Personalized Medicine will improve the efficiency of established treatments at the individual level, encourage the discovery of new therapeutic targets), reduce individual-driven side effects, and help (improve failed drugs). Genomic information will be integrated into the paradigm of personalized medicine to create new therapeutic strategies, oriented toward individual patients rather than general observations of pathologies. However, none of this will be possible unless a dramatic effort is made now to develop all the computational tools required to manage and mine enormous biological databases and to perform the required “in silico” simulations. Our goal is to provide an efficient infrastructure for future personalized medicine.
- Develop algorithms and software modules for Personalized Medicine
- Support Life Science projects in the areas of Cancer (ICGC) or Diabetes type II among others
- Strong programming skills
- Data mining abilities
- Fluency in English
- Able to take initiative within the process of tool and solution development
Qualifications & Experience
- Graduated in computer sciences or related studies (mathematics, telecommunications, physics, etc.)
- Python and/or Java is a plus
- Bioinformatics is an advantage but not a requisite
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life sciences department in collaboration with the specific program coordinator.
- The contract will be for 15 months.
- We offer the opportunity to join a dynamic team with a good working environment and a competitive salary in Barcelona.