BSC-CNS is the National Supercomputing Facility in Spain and was officially constituted in April 2005. BSC-CNS manages MareNostrum, the most powerful supercomputer in Europe. The mission of BSC-CNS is to investigate, develop and manage information technology in order to facilitate scientific progress. With this aim, in 2009 a research line on Social Sciences and Humanities was constituted. It has been involved in different research projects and developments inside a strong interdisciplinary working environment.
The Social Simulation group from the Computer Applications & Engineering Department at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center is offering a Post-doctoral position on Computer Science available in the ERC-project “EPNet. Production and Distribution of Food during the Roman Empire: Economic and Political Dynamics” (http://www.roman-ep.net/epnet/).
The project involves an exciting opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary project aimed to explore the use of computer simulation in the study of human behavior.
The candidate would contribute to the creation of new social simulation paradigms through research and development of Pandora, a new open-source Agent-Based Modelling framework, currently being developed at BSC:
The position is temporary renewable up to 2 years, starting around September, 2014.
- Research on new dynamic load balancing techniques for distributed Agent-Based Simulations.
- Optimization of Pandora ABM distributed engine.
- Integration in the development team that is creating and maintaining the Pandora framework.
- Capacity of supervising PhD Students
- C/C++ programming language
- MPI/OpenMP protocols
- Fluent English
The following skills will also be evaluated:
- Agile development methodologies (XP, Test-Driven Development, etc.).
- Open-source development environments (git, scons, gcc/g++, etc.)
- Knowledge on ABM platforms ( RePast, Netlogo, Pandora, ...)
- Fluency in Catalan and/or Spanish languages
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD in Computer Science or another qualification provided that the candidate can justify having acquired the needed capabilities and skills for the vacancy.
- Background on interdisciplinary projects, specially related to Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Experience in complex systems will be appreciated.
All applicants should submit:
- Cover letter (please, indicate salary expectations)
- Short statement of motivation
- Curriculum vitae, including a clear exposition of experience and required skills.
Deadline: Wednesday, 30 April, 2014