BSC under the collaboration agreement with Microsoft Research are conducting research and development projects in the area of Big Data Cluster systems and architectures for next generation datacenters. Working together to foster an environment where industrial, academic, and research personnel can collaborate to use state of the art computational systems and technologies in support of such research projects.
We are opening 1 Support Engineer Position to work on the team of characterization and performance of MapReduce environments. The position will be located at BSC within the Computer Science department. The grant will have an initial length of 6 months, which may be extended base on the performance of the candidates and the results of the project. The project will be a joint effort with a team of researchers from Microsoft Redmond. Candidates must be interested in starting a research career in the scope of an international team.
- Development of a Web platform to support project results and public presence utilizing state of art Web techniques and graphic libraries
- Database design for the project's resulting data utilizing SQL, NoSQL, NewSQL, and BigData techniques
- Setup and maintenance of the development environments to ensure code quality including the design of a continuous integration system
- Management of the project online services and tools.
- Characterization of MapReduce workloads in different hardware platforms and evaluation of performance bottleneck under different conditions
- Experience designing databases in classical SQL as well as newer systems including NoSQL, NewSQL, and Big Data processing (Pig, Hive, Impala)
- Experience running and maintaining production Web applications, setting development environments, agile methodologies, code control, Continuous Integration
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Windows system administration and scripting in traditional as well as Cloud infrastructures
- Some knowledge of Network Protocols and High Performance Networks (Infiniband, RDMA)
- Experience working with high performance computing and bottleneck detection
- Fluency in English essential: regular written and spoken communication in English will be required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize and work under set deadlines and pressure
- Ability to work independently and in a team
Qualifications & Experience
- Holding or pursuing a degree in Computer Sciences, Telecommunications or related discipline
- Capacity to interact and build strong relations with a diverse members/stakeholder/staff base.
- Willing to travel
Interested candidates, please submit:
- Presentation letter
- Curriculum vitae (including academic record)
- Candidates may optionally submit a software portfolio (links to developed applications or a public software repository).