BSC under the collaboration agreement with IBM are conducting research and development projects around the “Technology Center for Supercomputing” for providing education for new professionals and for developing common communication, commercial initiatives and marketing partnership in order to create market interest in IBM and BSC technologies.
Applications are invited for PhD student position in Computer Architecture at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC-CNS). We are offering a PhD student position for a period of 4 years (with possibility of extension) in the context of an IBM-funded project that will develop new generation hardware-software co-managed adaptive systems.
The project will be focused on the management of shared hardware resources on multicores such as the IBM POWER7 (Simultaneous multithreading, cache, bandwidth, memory, etc.). We will develop a framework that will be in charge of scheduling applications to hardware threads after taking into account resource contention. Also, it will develop hardware-software co-managed adaptive systems that improve power-performance metrics in future POWERPC systems.
This project involves research in microarchitecture, runtime systems, and operating systems.
Main Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor in Computer Science (or similar). A MSc is recommended, but not required
- Computer Architecture: microarchitecuture, resource sharing in multicores, cache hierarchy
- Operating Systems: Linux, scripting, OS scheduler
- Performance Analysis and Tuning of parallel applications
- Programming: C/C++, VHDL/Verilog, Assembler, Open MP/MPI, CUDA, etc.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize and work under set deadlines pressure
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Capacity to interact and build strong relations with other research groups
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Interested candidates should submit their CV, a cover letter, a recommendation letter, and the BSc/MSc grades to the following email address, indicating the offer reference Students-IBM-CAOS in the subject message: email@example.com.
Closing date 31/12/2013