The Heterogeneous Architectures group from the Computer Science Department at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC) is offering a full-time PhD student position within the EuroServer project. The successful candidate will complete a PhD degree in computer architecture in topics related to the system architecture and low-level software in ARM-based energy-efficient servers.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic research group (currently eight PhD students, four PhD researchers, and one professor) with strong connections to industry (including ARM, ST, NVIDIA, Bull, and Samsung). The group is leading the Mont-Blanc and Mont-Blanc II projects in energy-efficient high performance computing, and is at the forefront of research in energy-efficient systems architecture and simulation models. The successful candidate will be enrolled in the doctorate program in the Department of Computer Architecture at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain.
The objective of this position is to complete a PhD in the field of system architectures for energy-efficient servers. The specific research topics will be decided based on the candidate’s skills and objectives.
We seek a highly motivated and academically excellent student with:
- Strong knowledge of computer architecture
- Computing skills in programming languages (Python, C/C++) and experience with Unix/Linux environments.
- Knowledge of server application stack is desirable (LAMP stack, Hadoop, etc.)
- Understanding of virtualization is desirable (especially Xen and KVM)
- Fluency in English is essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize and work under set deadlines and pressure
- Ability to work independently and in a team
Qualifications & Experience
- M.Sc in Computer Science or a related discipline
- Candidates with B.Sc in computer science and outstanding academic record are also encouraged to apply
- Capacity to interact and build strong relations with a diverse staff base
- Must be willing to travel
Interested candidates should submit the following documents:
- CV with contact data
- Cover letter
The position will be located at BSC within the Computer Science department.
Closing date: 15/01/2014