Barcelona Supercomputing Center is one of the 8 Severo Ochoa centers of excellence in Spain, as recognition of leading research centres that are internationally known organisations in their respective areas. The Heterogeneous Architectures group at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center is looking for a highly-motivated engineer to participate in the research of a new class of energy-efficient compute platforms based on ARM processors for high-performance computing and data centers.
The Mont-Blanc project, one of the BSC flagship projects, has set itself the following objective: to design a new type of computer architecture capable of setting future global High Performance Computing (HPC) standards that will deliver Exascale performance while using 15 to 30 time less energy. In the context of the MontBlanc project we are deploying a number of prototype clusters built from developer kits featuring a wide range of ARM-based SoC processors. These prototypes serve as driving vehicles for software development and performance benchmarking for the next generation of energy-efficient high performance and data center systems.
The successful candidate will join an interdisciplinary team to carry out the following tasks:
- Porting of cutting-edge scientific applications in the areas of earth and life sciences to the different prototype clusters
- Porting of the middleware of the project to these platforms
- Performance and power consumption analysis of the applications running in the prototype clusters. This includes profiling and identification of bottlenecks and energy inefficiencies.
- Optimization of the applications for the prototype clusters. This includes the exploration of different parallelization approaches and the use of hardware accelerators such as GPUs
These tasks will be carried out in the context of the MontBlanc and Severo Ochoa projects. The successful candidate is expected to show initiative and strong interpersonal skills to interact with both hardware and software researchers and engineers in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- At least BSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent. BSc in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or equivalent are also considered for candidates with strong computer skills. MSc in these areas is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of C, C++, Fortran and MPI
- Strong debugging and problem solving skills
- Strong software engineering skills including knowledge about data structures and algorithms
- Strong English communication skills
- Experience in parallel programming, MPI and OpenMP, CUDA, OpenCL in particular.
- Experience with scripting languages such as shell, PERL, and Python
- Experience with network file systems, virtualization and grid environments
- Knowledge of computer architecture and experience in architecture-aware optimization
- Experience with control version systems
All applicants should submit:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
Closing date: 12/01/2014